Best from Castello Tricerchi
Quality and Tradition
The estate extends over the north side of Montalcino for 400 hectares, 13 of which are vineyards. At the center stands the Castle, built in 1441 by the Tricerchi family. The construction constituted an important bastion for the pilgrims who went to Rome along the Via Francigena, now is the headquarters of the Brunello di Montalcino production.
The winery is located in the “secret” of the castle. Thanks to the inner tubes placed in the interior, the temperature is stable throughout the year. The dark and temperate areas help to complete the wine refining process. The winery has remained as it was 600 years ago, traditionally, with the addition of modern technological machinery.
Farming and Culture
Castello Tricerchi extends over 400 hectares on the northern slopes of Montalcino. 13 hectares are dedicated to the cultivation of Sangiovese Grosso, the vines which produce Brunello and Rosso di Montalcino. The vines, at 290 m, are characterised by cooler temperatures and marked thermal variations.
The hill below the Castle is caressed by the vineyards mantle which are divided into 7 plots, the Vigna del Velo (from the name of the overlying aristocratic chapel dedicated to the Virgin of the Veil), the Vigna del Castello, of Sant’Anna, del Lago, dei Cipressi, of the Piano and the New Vineyard.
The composition of soil, containing limestone clay and sand, is rich and even. The vines are almost exclusively north facing which allows for uniform ripening.
Cultivation methods are based on organic principles and respect for the intimate relationship between man and nature.